Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Are PM's in the Services or Experience business?

I recently read The Experience Economy after hearing Tom Peters refer to it in an old speech of his I try to listen to annually. The book talks about progressing from selling commodities, to products, to services, to experiences, and ultimately to transformations. One of the things that struck me was the notion of what you leave behind or what does the customer/client get to keep or come away with after the transaction. With goods they obviously get to take home the item they purchased. With services it can be s a bit tricky. Maybe they get a new haircut or a fixed car. When you buy an experience you take with you a memory (say of your Disney vacation) or a new skill (like a certification). After a transformation you walk away with a new outlook or a new organization.

It got me thinking. As a consultant coming in to manage a portfolio of projects for a client, what business am I really in? Frankly I think I've framed what I do as being in the services business. My client gets projects done well, on time, and within budget. My firm bills for the hours I work. I get paid. Services rendered.

Hmmm. What if I wanted to be in the experience business instead?

So now I still manage a portfolio of IT projects on time and within budget. But with my new paradigm I've started to also spend focused time with the business analysts, project leads, vendors, and the executives I work with slowing down a bit and training them on various aspects of what I do for them. I'm leaving behind useful skills in the organization and in their partners that will allow my client to analyze situations, manage projects, lead changes, and do a number of other related things they may not have been able to do before. I want my clients to have the memory of being part of a well-oiled team working toward something that matters. In short, I want them to think back on this time as me having orchestrated a great experience they were fortunate to be a part of--not just as someone who managed a bunch of projects.

This is something I continue to work on. The next step is to create transformations through my consulting.

What business are you in?

No comments: