Monday, December 01, 2008

Do you think of what you do as an art form?

I just finished watching the John Adams miniseries from HBO (Adams is a hero of mine).  There is a wonderful short film about author David McCullough on the last DVD.  Here are my two favorite pieces of wisdom contained in the film:

I think of writing History as an art form, and I'm striving to write a book that might, might, qualify as literature.  That's the aspiration.  And I don't want it just to be readable, I don't want it to just be interesting, I want it to be something that moves the reader--moves me.


Mission accomplished.  

Next, in speaking about each of his writing engagements:


You've got to marinate your head in that time, in that culture.  You've got to become them, in effect.


The guy is a true pro.  If only more of us could have that same approach to our work. 

No comments: