Monday, April 19, 2010

Lessons from West Coast Customs (Part One)

I don't get to watch much TV, but when I do, I enjoy the show West Coast Customs. I love watching craftsman of any kind bring their considerable skill and creativity to a new project that has its own unique requirements and constraints. There is so much to learn about project management from this show.

The point I'd like to make today is how important one word can be: what they call their final deadline.

But for those who are not familiar with the program, essentially people bring their (often very expensive) vehicles to West Coast Customs to have them customized in some way--they are definitely one-of-a-kind when they drive away. The customer drops it off, West Coast works on them, the customer comes back to see how it looks and to pick it up. The show documents the steps, the challenges, and the process to get from drop-off to pick-up.

Everyone in the shop calls the final deadline for the project "The Reveal" knowing the customer will be at the shop on a given day to see and pick up her/his car--and they will want something truly amazing.

I like to encourage my clients to use a lot of outside vendors in the projects I manage for them. When I'm setting up the ground rules for a new vendor relationship I like to schedule a weekly status update call where we get on GoToMeeting or a similar product and talk about what was accomplished last week and what we'd like to get done the coming week. We talk about priorities, who is responsible for what, any internal pressures we need to consider, etc. Most importantly, we ask the vendor to be prepared with an on-screen demo of what they accomplished last week.

This helps keep the vendor focused and on track in several ways. It also helps them remember we're business users and often only see tangible business value through interacting with an interface--coming back with a demo of a bunch of database tables or infrastructure they built without tying it to some button we can push to make something happen makes for an awkward phone call that usually doesn't happen again.

I think I'm going to start calling the weekly calls "Reveals" instead of status updates.

(Note: I will now also require all current and future vendors to read this blog post [and watch one episode of the show?] before we begin working together.)

No comments: