Monday, October 16, 2006

Basecamp To-Do Hack


Ever have a list of To-Do items in Basecamp that have varying priorities? At times I've used naming conventions (e.g., "a_Task 1, b_Task 2") or simply placed an "[A], [B], or [C]" in front of each item and both options work fine when that's the only dimension you need to display.

But I have a case right now where I'm already distinguishing whether a list of requirements are more format or appearance-related (which I mark with an "[A]") or if they are what I like to call "plumbing"-related meaning they deal with getting data from Point A to Point B (which I mark with a "[B]").

So now I want to designate two dimensions for each To-Do item: priority, and type (and obviously the name of who the To-Do item is assigned to is a third dimension).

I simply created a To-Do item that I called "***TOP PRIORITY TASKS***" and another called "***MEDIUM PRIORITY TASKS***, etc." and assigned each to "Anyone" so no name appears in front of each item. As the priorities change on a given item I simply go into the "Reorder" function and move the tasks to fall under the appropriate heading.

, , , , , , ,

No comments: