Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Teaching Your Kids the Tickler File System

At our house we call the stacks of permission slips, tests we have to initial, school planners we have to sign stating homework was done, and fund raiser order forms "parent homework." In the past this stuff would come out of my son's backpack and into my growing pile of paperwork to wade through--usually not until the weekend (see prior post)--and I was missing deadlines for book order forms and field trip permission slips. Not the way to foster good family relations. ;-)

So I taught my son the tickler system and when he comes home he files papers I need to sign in the file for the day ahead of when it's due. For example, if it's the 10th and an order form is due on the 20th, he'll file it in my 19th folder.

I also set up two files with his name on it: one is put in today's hanging file and the second is placed in tomorrow's. My wife and I made index cards for his daily chores (taking out the trash, practicing piano, etc. [one card per chore]) and placed them in his folder. When he gets home from school he pulls out his folder and starts working on whatever cards are there. As he completes a chore, say taking out the trash, he'll place the card in tomorrow's folder with his name on it. At the end of the day we move his folder to two days out.

BTW, this works great for making sure library books come back on time, as well. We have a card saying...

Return school library books tomorrow
(file under next Monday when done)

...in my Monday's file (they're due on Tuesday). When I go through my Monday file that day I see the card and place it in my son's folder for that day. When he's done gathering his books and putting them in his backpack he files the card in next Monday's folder.

One good way to judge if a system is simple and smooth enough to be sustainable is if you can teach it to your kids. If the answer is, "no" it might be too much for you too. Not too much to understand but too hard to maintain.

, , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the interesting information